June 15, 2010

Corn On The Cob

For the next food, I chose to descend into the land of vegetables and try corn on the cob (though technically fruit). Since I'd had mixed results trying even the sweetest, most accessible fruits, I was not particularly optimistic. Anything I'd ever been forced to eat as a kid did not seem like something I would chose to eat as an adult. But anyway, we bought a few husks at the local store and boiled them up to eat with our dinner. After trying one kernel (to ensure it was thoroughly cooked), I was pleasantly surprised by a delicious sweet flavor (caused by a genetic mutation in Sweet Corn that prevents the plant from converting all of its sugar into starch). My first bite into the cob was an even more pleasant surprise. I instantly realized that I really enjoyed its light, sweet flavor. A lot. I even went so far as to decide, on the spot, that I liked it more than popcorn. And this was before I put butter or salt on it! Barely stopping to take breathes between bites, I quickly devoured the ear. Since then, corn has probably been our most purchased food and in the future we hope to try grilling it.

-Anthony

No comments: