July 7, 2010

Edamame

On an extremely humid day trip to Cambridge, we decided to check out The Ginger Exchange in Inman Square. One of the many items I ate for lunch included steamed edamame. Edamame is basically a baby soybean and is served on a plate while they are still in their pods. The first time I tried edamame was in Seattle at a sushi restaurant. I made the embarrassing mistake of putting the whole thing in my mouth (pod and all) and trying to eat it that way. I learned right away after I got looks from others sitting with me at the table that I was supposed to eat only the actual beans that are inside the pod.

Aware of how to eat edamame from that day in Seattle on, I was excited to try some more edamame at lunch today. Once popped open, there are usually two or three beans inside of each pod. Then you simply pop each bean in your mouth and enjoy. They taste very fresh and similar to any other soy bean I have ever eaten. They aren't soft like kidney or garbanzo beans, but are firm and somewhat crunchy.  Edamame is a little bland so I am thinking up a way to create an edamame salad. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

-Bri

No comments: